Thomas E. Burgess, 93, of Falmouth, passed away on Saturday, April 1, 2017. He was the beloved husband of Caroline L. (Standeven) Burgess for 67 years. He was born November 19, 1923 in Pontiac, RI to the late Lester P. and Anette D. (Marien) Burgess.
Thomas served during World War II in the US Army, Quartermaster Corp., February 10, 1943 to February 17, 1946. He served in both Europe (France and Belgium) and Asia (Philippine Islands).
He graduated from North Kingstown, RI in 1941 and his wife, Caroline, were married at St. Paul’s Church in North Kingstown on June 18, 1949. He graduated from the University of Rhode Island (1949) with a bachelor’s degree in chemistry, from Syracuse University (1952) with a master’s degree in analytical chemistry and the University of Connecticut (1959) with a doctorate in inorganic chemistry. He worked as a chemist in the plastics department of American Optical Company, Southbridge MA for three years prior to returning to school to complete his studies for his doctorate. At that time (1959) he joined the Sprague Electric Company as an engineer in the transistor laboratory. He eventually moved to the research center where he served as a research chemist. In 1971 he and two other chemists from Sprague formed the Burgess Analytical Laboratory, an independent chemical testing laboratory located in North Adams, MA. He served as technical director of this company until it was sold in 2002. In 2002, he and a partner formed Burgess Analytical Associates, an analytical chemistry consulting company. Thomas enjoyed reading, his computer, spending his winters in Naples, FL, and traveling.
In addition to his wife, Caroline, he is survived by several nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his parents and brothers, Allan and Lester P. Burgess, Jr.
A private graveside service will be held in Rhode Island and a memorial service will be held in Falmouth at a later date.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to: St. Barnabas Episcopal Church, PO Box 203, Falmouth MA 02541, St. John’s Church, 35 Park Street, Williamstown MA 01267, or to a charity of one’s choice.